Tuesday 22 April 2014

How to make the most of your cheekbones!

So many people struggle on where they need to be putting makeup on their face and how much of it, and everyone wants to enhance the good and hide the bad, so I thought this blog post would help some of you who aren't so confident in makeup and want to move a step further from the basics, this might be a little too much for you who are just only discovering makeup

I'm going to be talking about the cheeks today, and how we can make the most of our cheekbones as some of us wasn't born with prominent cheekbones which stand out with no help at all, I was on the less fortunate side of this and my cheekbones don't stand out as much as I would like them to, so when I want a full makeup look for the day or if I'm going out at night this is what I like to do

Contour: Contouring your face basically means you are shadowing certain parts of your face which will make other parts of your face stand out, adding more definition to your face shape, putting a darker colour (contouring your face) will make that area seem shaded out, it's like shading that area to make it seem like it isn't there, which makes our cheekbones seem like there is a hollow underneath them making the cheeks stand out more. So when contouring the cheeks you can use any bronzers you desire, or if any cool toned browns with no warm undertones in like some bronzers can look orange or muddy on some skin types which can do the opposite of what we want to do, we want it to look as natural as possible and not just a line on our face, you also want to be using a matte bronzer, nothing shimmery or it will bring it forward and look very unnatural, so you want to use a small type of fluffy brush and place the bronzer right underneath your cheekbone, you can feel for this as it's where it dips in when you push it in under your cheeks but if you cannot seem to find it, place the product from the middle of your ear down to the corner of the mouth, but not going so far down as it joins up with the mouth, stop when you reach it in line with your pupil, I personally like to use my NARS 'Laguna' Bronzer to do this as it's the perfect shade to do this, and you want to start with as little product on your brush first and then start to build it up if you need to. The key is to make sure it is very well blended or it will look unnatural

NARS 'Laguna' Bronzer
MAC 'Harmony' Blush
Bourjois Chocolate Bronzer

Base - Contour

Blush: Using a blush can also make your cheekbones stand out more by adding a natural flush of colour to them, this will make them stand out from the rest of your foundation and make you look healthy,I'm not fussy about what colour blush I use, I like to experiment with light pinks, dark pinks, peaches, purple tones, bronzy tones, literally any depending on my mood, some people like to blend there blush black towards there hairline but I like to keep my blush just on the apples of my cheeks and blended nicely, but it is up to you on which you prefer, try both and see which you like best, again using a small cheek brush will work great as long as it blends and looks natural, I couldn't pick a favourite blush so I will list some of my favourites which are all very different shades. You can use any type of blush you like, whether it being cream, powder, matte or shimmer, I think shimmer is great as it will act like a highlighter and blush in one so you don't need to bother with two different products

MAC Frankly Skarlet
MAC Mineralize blush 'Warm Soul'
NYX 'Rose Garden' Blush
Bobbie Brown Blush 'Apricot'

Highlighter: I would say highlighter is just what finishes of any look and will help them cheekbones pop even more, highlighting an area will make it stand out and will look illumines and shine when the light hits it, so when we add a lighter, shimmery shade to an area it will be like we are colouring in a colouring book, starting off with a black and white page, you will put on colour to an area which will make it stand out from the black and white foreground, which is similar to when we highlight an area, we're making it stand out from the rest of the face, you need to make sure that you apply the highlighter on the tops of the cheekbones pulling back towards the hairline, above your blush but not too high under the eye area and it doesn't look good there, so just under where your natural bags under your eye would form, I also love many highlighters, I personally love the Dior Nude Shimmer Highlighter, or Dior Rose Diamond Highlighter, but you can also find really good ones in the high street like Topshop, I think they do the best highlighters, you can use any highlighter you want being powder or cream

MAC 'Soft And Gentle'
Topshop Highlighter
Dior Rose Diamond
Dior Nude Shimmer Highlighter

Contour - Blush and Highlight

I hope this help some of you who are looking to go a step further within your makeup routines and are looking for some new products to try and don't be afraid to comment down below or message me requesting some blog post ideas as I would love some help :-)

Love Chantelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment